dates from the 12th century. It was built by the Knights Templar,
who defended the Holy Land but were disbanded in 1308.
The Carylls became the principal family in the village on taking up residence at Bentons in the early fifteenth century. Their patronage of the church continued until 1754 when John Baptiste Caryll sold his estate to pay his debts.